My daughter is 9 and is taking amoxicillin for strep , she has a cough that won't stop so which kind of cough medicine can I buy OTC for her ?

Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: RobituscinDM/DELCYM

I presume she has been examined by md and does not suffer from asthma or allergic conditions.
And cough is the only symptom and you need some over the counter cough medicine for symptom relief.Suggest 1extra fluids 2over the couner cough medicine containing an expectorant like guifanicin and cough suppressant like dextromethorphen robituscin dm delcym is 12 hour/ no expectorant discuss with md.

In brief: RobituscinDM/DELCYM

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
2 comments
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Besides the ones mentioned, try dark honey, warm mist humidifier with Eucalyptus oil. I find them remarkably useful as well as natural.
Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Agreed! The humidifier is a must!
Dr. Charlene Sojico

In brief: Persistent cough

Can be due to a cold , flu , allergies , sinus , virus, infection, chemicals causing postnasal drainage.
You can certainly try giving her allergy meds like claritin, (loratadine) allegra. Zyrtec to see if it helps ease up the coughing. She can also take some expectorants to help thin out the thick mucus clogging up the airways. Drink plenty of warm liquids. If she suffers from asthma, she needs to see her doctor.

In brief: Persistent cough

Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Louis Cooper
Clear fluids, elevating the head of the bed--extra pillow, vaporizer or humidifier would be helpful. None of the medications mentioned will offer much benefit. clear fluids like apple juice, pear juice, white grape juice will thin mucus. Showers also help. More info in my book--Dear Parents: when to call the doctor for your infant or toddler--Amazon.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham