How can high blood pressure cause atrial fibrillation?

2 mechanisms . First - high blood pressure increases the pressures in your heart and left atrium which triggers the pulmonary veins to fire and send out electrical signals that can short circuit the heart. Second - long standing hypertension dilates the atria and causes fibrosis which makes it easier to short circuit those chambers and stay in atrial fibrillation.
Atrial dilitation. High blood pressure can cause the left ventricle to enlarge. As the walls of the ventricle thicken they also become stiff, and the left atrium then has a hard time to pump blood into it. This then causes the atrium to enlarge (dilate) and once it gets to about 5 cm2 it has a hard time to contract normally, and may instead contract in an uncoordinated and disorganised manner called fibrillation.