4 doctors weighed in:

If your baby ate honey, how soon can you tell if it is going to make him sick?

4 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics
3 doctors agree

In brief: Issues with honey

We learned years ago that some infants who presented to the hospital er with lethargy & difficulty remembering to breathe had ingested honey contaminated with botulism spores.
The germ spores hatched & grew in babies gut making them sick with infant botulism. The issue is an insidious one. Keep an eye on the kid & take s/he in if lethargy develops.

In brief: Issues with honey

We learned years ago that some infants who presented to the hospital er with lethargy & difficulty remembering to breathe had ingested honey contaminated with botulism spores.
The germ spores hatched & grew in babies gut making them sick with infant botulism. The issue is an insidious one. Keep an eye on the kid & take s/he in if lethargy develops.
Dr. James Ferguson
Dr. James Ferguson
Thank
1 comment
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Ferguson is correct, but this is a very rare infection. Honey is very unlikely to make your baby sick.
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Shontae Buffington
Board Certified, Pediatrics
14 years in practice
849K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors