If my uncle and my cousin have autism, what is the risk of me having a child with autism?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Higher but...
Although genetic factors definitely play a role in autism, the exact risk for various scenarios can be hard to pin down.
Having had a child with autism definitely increases your risk of having another by 10-20 fold. Having the family history you describe probably increases the risk too, but less so. Genetic counselors can give you the very latest numbers, but there's no reall way to prediction.

In brief: Higher but...
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: You need to know
The results of your family members' genetic tests-comparative genomic hybridization & dna probe for fragile x & a 3-generation family history on both your mom's & dad's sides for a geneticist or genetic counselor to answer your question.
Ask your ob-gyn for a referral after collecting the needed information.

In brief: You need to know
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke