I'm a 61 yo male, 6'1 200 lbs; recent blood test revealed: sgot 54, sgpt 88. What is the possible cause? Should i be worried? What can I do to lower?

Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Abnormal Liver Tests

Your liver enzymes are slightly elevated and you have to discuss with your doctor as to the cause these enzymes are very sensitive and even a little insult or injury to liver can cause this elevation.
If you do not have any reason for it to be elevated based on your history and physical exam and other tests like alk phosphatase;bilirubin are normal;no history of drugs/alcohol, tepeat in 1-2months.

In brief: Abnormal Liver Tests

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Mark Kuhnke
I wouldn't worry about it at first glance. I agree with repeating in a couple of months of no Tylenol and minimal alcohol. Also, if you've been placed on a statin for high cholesterol, it can effect your liver enzymes. There are some people, about 2%, who have higher than "normal" liver enzymes as their normal baseline.

In brief: Fatty liver disease

Very common in usa due to our diet choices.
However, you need to have further testing to see what is causing the elevated lfts. If you are really concern ask your family doc to do a hepatitis test and possibly order an abdominal ultrasound. At any rate if you do drink, possible might want to reduce it. Decrease fatty food intake...Also ask your doctor for further advice.

In brief: Fatty liver disease

Dr. Mak Yousefpour
Dr. Mak Yousefpour
Dr. Andrea Brand