I have diabetes, am I more susceptible to complications with cytomegalovirus infections?

Dr. Theodore Wu
Ophthalmology
In brief: Diabetes and CMV
If your diabetes is well controlled, your immune system functions well, and you will be able to fight CMV effectively.
However, if you have poorly controlled diabetes, you may be more susceptible to certain infections, such as cmv. Work with your primary doctor and/or endocrinologist to optimize your blood sugar control, and control of your blood pressure and cholesterol. Eat a healthy diet.

In brief: Diabetes and CMV
Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. Theodore Wu
Emily Lu
In brief: Probably not
Though diabetes patients are more susceptible to infection in general, CMV complications do not seem to be more common in diabetic patients.
CMV complications are more commonly seen in HIV patients, post-transplant patients and the critically ill.

In brief: Probably not
Emily Lu
Emily Lu
Answer assisted by Emily Lu, Medical Student
Dr. Jonathan Jassey