Is smelling smoke a symptom of a brain tumor a myth? Had CT scan 2 years ago for phantom smells. Everything normal. Now constant smell of smoke x2 days. Dry sinuses? No other neuro symptoms.

Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Ophthalmology

In brief: See your PCP

Myth, or no myth, it warrants further investigation.
Smelling unusual smells that aren't present like smoke is not normal. So the first person to start a dialogue with is your pcp. S/he will be able to advise you further, and provide a referral to see a neurologist, if that's needed. Right now it needs to be documented, especially if you're smelling it full-time.

In brief: See your PCP

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Rarely caused by...

Your condition is called phantosmia.
While brain tumors can cause it, that's an unusual cause. I advise having neurologist re-evaluate. I'm unaware of research on how to treat this but some have success with Gabapentin ; other meds for epilepsy- see http://chemse.Oxfordjournals.Org/content/27/7/611.Full when western medicine doesn't have answers consider homeopathy ; chinese medicine/acupuncture.

In brief: Rarely caused by...

Your condition is called phantosmia.
Dr. Eric Weisman