If I cross legs while typing or sitting will I be more likely to get varicose veins?

Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: Wive's tale
I agree with dr. Schwartz, getting varicose veins from crossing your legs is a wive's tale.

In brief: Wive's tale
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Craig Schwartz
Phlebology
In brief: Yes and No
It is actually a bit of a wive's tale that crossing your legs causes varicose veins.
The real risk factor is if your legs are dependent, either sitting or standing, for long periods of time. This creates venous pooling, and venous hypertension, which eventually causes the varicosities. Try to get up and move frequently, elevate your legs if possible, and most importantly use compression stockings.

In brief: Yes and No
Dr. Craig Schwartz
Dr. Craig Schwartz
In brief: Prolonged sitting
Prlonged sitting and standing increases venous hypertension in legs with heredity genetics; use support stockings.

In brief: Prolonged sitting
Dr. Nick (Donald) Morrison
Dr. Nick (Donald) Morrison
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery