Knee pain and possible injury from twisting in tennis. Should I stretch first?

Dr. Vic Kalman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Depends

If you just twisted your knee during tennis and cannot continue then i would ice the knee, wrap it and elevate it.
If the pain passes quickly and you can run, plant and pivot to hit balls then yes by all means stretch a little first. Do not continue if there is any lingering pain because you might cause further injury. Ice and elevate for any swelling, should resolve my morning. See dr if persist.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Vic Kalman
Dr. Vic Kalman
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Where is the injury?

Where does the knee hurt? This can be internal - like ligament, meniscus cartilage or cartilage under the kneecap - also called chondromalacia, .
It could be external like tennis leg - medial attachment of the head of the gastrocnemius, laigaments, or patellar tendon also known as jumper's knee, before we suggest stretching we need to know about the site of the injury.

In brief: Where is the injury?

Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Vikram Patel