19 doctors weighed in:

Are poinsettias or any other holiday plants poisonous?

19 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Eitner
Family Medicine
8 doctors agree

In brief: Yes

Eating poinsettia leaves can cause nausea and vomiting in adults and children.
(as can cedar bark and pyracantha.) the sap can cause an allergic rash. Definite poisonous holiday plants include mistletoe, holly, amaryllis, daffodils, jerusalem cherry, and lilies.

In brief: Yes

Eating poinsettia leaves can cause nausea and vomiting in adults and children.
(as can cedar bark and pyracantha.) the sap can cause an allergic rash. Definite poisonous holiday plants include mistletoe, holly, amaryllis, daffodils, jerusalem cherry, and lilies.
Dr. James Eitner
Dr. James Eitner
Thank
Dr. Alan Greene
Pediatrics
4 doctors agree

In brief: Yes

Poinsettias are not poisonous (one ohio state study showed that a 50 lb child who ate 500 colored leaves might have a slight tummy ache).
However, all parts of the mistletoe (and especially the berries) are toxic - though usually not lethal. So keep mistletoe up and out of reach, hopefully above a strategic spot :).

In brief: Yes

Poinsettias are not poisonous (one ohio state study showed that a 50 lb child who ate 500 colored leaves might have a slight tummy ache).
However, all parts of the mistletoe (and especially the berries) are toxic - though usually not lethal. So keep mistletoe up and out of reach, hopefully above a strategic spot :).
Dr. Alan Greene
Dr. Alan Greene
Thank
2 comments
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Most poisonous plants have nasty taste. It is unlikely that the child would eat enough to be toxic.
David Miller
Here's a fairly lengthy list of poisonous plants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_plants
Dr. Scott Tomaine
Pediatrics
3 doctors agree

In brief: No

Poinsettas are not poisonous.
If your toddler ate a significant amount of the plant, he or she might get a stomach ache or have some vomiting / diarrhea, but that would be all. Ornaments on a christmas tree, however, can cause more serious problems in the hands (or mouth) of a toddler. Keep these up and out of reach. If you are unsure about any ingestion, call your local poison control center.

In brief: No

Poinsettas are not poisonous.
If your toddler ate a significant amount of the plant, he or she might get a stomach ache or have some vomiting / diarrhea, but that would be all. Ornaments on a christmas tree, however, can cause more serious problems in the hands (or mouth) of a toddler. Keep these up and out of reach. If you are unsure about any ingestion, call your local poison control center.
Dr. Scott Tomaine
Dr. Scott Tomaine
Thank
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Pediatrics
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Yes

Some plants are poisonous so it is important to keep your young children from eating the leaves.
Most poisonous plants are bitter so it is unusual for a child to eat enough to get seriously ill.

In brief: Yes

Some plants are poisonous so it is important to keep your young children from eating the leaves.
Most poisonous plants are bitter so it is unusual for a child to eat enough to get seriously ill.
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Thank
Read more answers from doctors