Does plastic surgery cause severe face pain?

Dr. Adam Schaffner
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No

Facial plastic surgery does not, in general, cause severe pain.
If one has severe pain following facial plastic surgery, the patient should notify his/her surgeon immediately.

In brief: No

Dr. Adam Schaffner
Dr. Adam Schaffner
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Not typically

Most facial plastic surgery is not painful.
However that is a gross generalization and it truly depends on what is being done. Analgesics are typically prescribed for those procedures in which pain is anticipated.

In brief: Not typically

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Eleanor Barone
Unless the surgery was in the area of nerves or the patient has a history of herpes that would cause them to be more prone to herpes or other infections that would then cause inflammation in the nerves.
Dr. Joseph Perlman
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No

I have been surprised in all my years of plastic surgery how little pain areas with soft tissue cosmetic procedures.
When doing procedures which involve repositioning of the facial bones, such as and advancing the jaw or cheekbones or in major craniofacial surgery for congenital defects, however those are painful. But i would say that 99% of my cosmetic surgery patients are able to treat their pos.

In brief: No

Dr. Joseph Perlman
Dr. Joseph Perlman
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: NO

Mild. usually handled well with pain meds.

In brief: NO

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. James Shire
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: No

In my experience of over 25 years of faisal plastic surgery, my patients have little if not no pain at all.
90% do not even need a tylenol, (acetaminophen) as an example. Done correctly plastic surgery of the face is not painful.

In brief: No

Dr. James Shire
Dr. James Shire
Dr. Richard Tholen
ALL surgery has pain, usually minimal and well-controlled by over-the-counter or prescription medications. But to claim "little or no pain" in 90% must mean everyone is in the 10% group! I'd rather under-promise and over-perform (honesty)!
Dr. Eleanor Barone
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Not really

But it depends upon your own pain perception.
Some people seem to feel no pain no matter what is done and others feel pain for weeks after a simple shot. But in general, most people do not complain of much pain after nose jobs, eyelifts or facelifts or other simple facial surgeries.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Eleanor Barone
Dr. Eleanor Barone
Dr. Suzanne Galli
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Plastic surgery

Pain is a variable experience.
Your surgeon will give you medications and post op instructions to minimise your discomfort.

In brief: Plastic surgery

Pain is a variable experience.
Dr. Suzanne Galli
Dr. Suzanne Galli
Dr. Reza Jarrahy
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: It depends...

It depends on what you mean by "plastic surgery.
" this term covers many different kinds of procedures, and of course pain tolerance varies greatly among individuals. Having said that, most elective cosmetic procedures, as well as many if not most facial reconstructive procedures, are performed on an outpatient basis with only oral pain medicine needed temporarily for pain control.

In brief: It depends...

Dr. Reza Jarrahy
Dr. Reza Jarrahy
Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Shouldn't .....

Pain after facial plastic surgery should be easily controlled with medications like vicodin.
If it is not, it may be a sign of hematoma, and your surgeon should be notified immediately.

In brief: Shouldn't .....

Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Donald Yoo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No

Depending on the procedure the recovery time will vary, but for the majority of facial surgeries pain is mild to moderate and patients are typically surprised at how quickly they are back to feeling great.

In brief: No

Dr. Donald Yoo
Dr. Donald Yoo
Dr. Marc Polecritti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No

No.

In brief: No

No.
Dr. Marc Polecritti
Dr. Marc Polecritti