How rough is recovery from gastric bypass/?

Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics
In brief: Not bad. 2 weeks
Most of our patients are up walking and sipping liquids right after surgery.
With tiny catheters that drip numbing medicine into the skin, most patients use only oral pain meds on the first day after surgery. Most go home the day after surgery. Most go to work in two weeks.

In brief: Not bad. 2 weeks
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
In brief: Not that bad
I can only give you my experience with my patients.
Overnight hospital stay. Driving in 2-3 days. Back to a desk job within a week and back in the gym in 2 weeks. I use pain catheters that minimize postop narcotics and keep pain at about a 2/10. Recuperation is pretty quick when done laparoscopically. Everyones rate of healing is a little bit different so results can vary.

In brief: Not that bad
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Matthew St. Laurent
Dr. Brad Snyder
Surgery
In brief: Not rough at all
Most patients tolerate this operation very well.
Pain is limited because it is done through small incisions. Getting use to the diet takes time and fatigue is usually the most limiting factor. I tell my patients to plan on a week off, but most are back to work within 5-7 days without problems.

In brief: Not rough at all
Dr. Brad Snyder
Dr. Brad Snyder
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology