Are there any safe over-the-counter medication for children?

Dr. Michael Klein

There are not many safe over-the-counter cold medications for children.
The medications which had been previously available were both not very effective for children and also rather easy to overdose. The best OTC medications for children continue to be tylenol (acetaminophen) (acetominophen) products and Motrin (ibuprofen) products. When in doubt, ask your pharmacist for help with OTC choices for kids.

Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. Michael Klein

In brief: For what ?

There are some safe OTC meds and some I consider not so.
If you give us an idea of what you are interested in treating it would help.

In brief: For what ?

Dr. Edwin Ishoo
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: OTC medications

What symptoms are you treating? How old is the child? You obviously have been to your local pharmacy and you have seen hundreds of over the counter medications for children, so I'm not certain what the actual question or concern is.
If in doubt, ask your pharmacist. Most pediatric medications are dosed by weight and may have a minimum age limit.

In brief: OTC medications

Dr. Edwin Ishoo
Dr. Edwin Ishoo
Dr. Kenneth Cheng

Used appropriately, children's tylenol (acetaminophen) and children's Motrin (or their equivalent) are safe for children.
However, these medications are "comfort" medications used to reduce fever and pain; they do not treat the source of the fever or pain. Therefore, if you find yourself giving these to your children for more than a few days, you should bring them to their pediatrician or family doctor.

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Shontae Buffington