I think have the hives because I have random red spots and swollen lips. Is Claritin good or Benadryl (diphenhydramine) better?

Zyrtec (cetirizine) (Cetitizine) If these are recurrent, see an allergiist for the propper diagnosis and treatment. For otc (over the counter) medication, most allergists prefer zyrtec (cetirizine) because it has more anti-inflamatory properties and lasts 24 hours. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) generally lasts 4 to 6 hours and causes more drowsiness, if the patient gets drowsy on zyrtec they might try Allegra (fexofenadine).
Claritin (loratadine) If you are treating hives during the day, neither Claritin or Allegra may be preferred since they do not cause sedation. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) may cause sleepiness during the day, so many people take it at night and appreciate the enhanced ability to fall asleep. If you need these medicines more than a couple of days, see a doctor to ensure that it is not a serious issue.