Should I put my kid in a smaller daycare to prevent her from getting the cold?

Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: Doesn't matter

Children transmit infection, so the size of the day care shouldn't matter. Interestingly, though, kids who get sick below the age of 2 are less likely to get allergies, asthma and multiple sclerosis as adults, possibly related to priming of the immune system, so don't fear the cold.

In brief: Doesn't matter

Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Depends...

More important than the size of the daycare is the quality of the instruction and the cleanliness habits of the staff and students.
A larger one is fine if they teach good hygiene habits, wash their mat and toys daily, and the teachers practice what they preach.

In brief: Depends...

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Michael Klein

In brief: Doesn't matter much

There are several schools of thought on this.
I am personally in the camp that young children will get a certain number of colds no matter what we do, given there is signficant viral activity in the world. Kids exposed to daycare get more frequent colds at first, but then develop their immunity sooner and get fewer colds later. It is a matter of timing in my mind.

In brief: Doesn't matter much

Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. Shontae Buffington