Can acid reflux cause worsening of asthma symptoms?

Oh yes... Exposure of the vocal cords to stomach acid ; pepsin will result in inflammation of the vocal cords (as is also often seen with acid regurgitation). Acute laryngitis may result, but watch out for chronic hoarseness, throat clearing, airway spasms, bronchitis, an asthma-type presentation, and even a higher risk of throat cancer. Impedance ph testing with a symptom diary can best characterize this.
Acid reflux. Acid reflux can very definitely cause asthma or worsening of asthma. You need to treat both illnesses in order to get well. Also if you are overweight then you need to lose weight in order to get better. Asthma should be treated by allergist or other specialists.