If I wash my hands regularly, can I decrease the likelihood of contracting the common cold?

Yes. Let’s practice preventive measures which keep cold viruses from entering the nose. Remember to wash hands after contact with cold sufferers and objects and surfaces that may have been contaminated. Keep your fingers out of the eyes, nose and mouth. Hand washing is one of the best ways to avoid catching a cold. This simple habit requires only soap and warm water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Yes. The flu (influenza) and common colds are viral infections. Washing one's hands after touching other people, or after touching objects that other people touch (knobs, railings, handles, phones, keyboards, etc...), can remove viruses from one's hands so there will be less chance of getting sick from the flu or the common cold. However, too much handwashing will cause an eczema rash on the hands.