I have a radial volar ganglion cyst and im considering surgery.I play percussion and its my life!if i get it removed will it be costly to my playing?!

Dr. Steven Brown
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Treatment

Volar radial wrist ganglions should not be aspirated secondary to the potential for radial artery injury.
With surgery and proper post operative care recurrence is 4-5 %, without proper post op care recurrence has been reported to be closer to 18%. Aspiration is only appropriate for dorsal wrist ganglions and success rate is poor maybe 20 - 30% at best. Surgery should not effect your playing.

In brief: Treatment

Dr. M Felix Freshwater
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: No, but learn more

As you are 16, you should share this with your parents.
Here are some facts about ganglions: 1. The average person has more than 1, they're just to small to see and their growth is unpredictable. 2. We don't know their cause. 3. In large studies the results are the same with surgery, puncturing them or just watching them. That is about 50% of then return after surgery or puncture and 50% go away.

In brief: No, but learn more

Dr. Daniel Mass
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: It should not be

This is a routine surgery with minimal risks if done by someone who performs the surgery a lot.

In brief: It should not be