Is acupuncture or massage therapy more effective for joint and low back pain?

Acupuncture. The cause of your back pain is what will determine what you should do. Both of the approaches you mentioned treat symptoms. You need to find out what is causing your pain. Injury, misuse, over use, congenital. Issues are all possibilities..
Both can be. Beneficial. If the back pain was due to muscular problems - then those would both be good options. Acupuncture can often pinpoint care to specific locations. It can also treat an array of conditions beyond muscular issues. Massage and acupuncture can work quite well together.