Is foot swelling common with a torn meniscus?

Unusual. Foot swelling is not common with a torn meniscus. If the is significant swelling of you foot then you should see you pcp and have him evaluate your for other problems in the extremity.
Not really. The actual meniscus tear does not cause foot swelling. The meniscus tear can cause fluid within the knee joint, which tends to inhibit your quad muscles in a way that makes you limp. The limping is what causes pain in the calves and inner thigh along the hamstrings. Limping around a lot is much more likely to cause the swelling in the foot than the actual meniscus tear.