Is it safe to become pregnant with itp? Last platelet count was in normal range. What am i to expect regarding delivery? I have antibodies to platelet

Dr. Jane Van Dis

I've had many patients who have this condition and go on to have successful normal pregnancies.
A consultation with a perinatologist would help you understand what possible complications there may be.

Dr. Jane Van Dis
Dr. Jane Van Dis
2 comments
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Yes, and it wouldn't hurt to let your hematologist know around the time you deliver so he/she is standing by.
Dr. Douglas Lawson
ITP is relatively common. The main of course is having your platelets drop during the pregnancy. This can be a major issue during c section or if you have a placenta previa. However, we see ITP in pregnancy a lot. I would say its probably fine, however only you can determine ultimately if the risk to you is worth being pregnant. The same goes for diabetics, women with cardiac disease, etc.
Dr. Jane Van Dis