Do girls learn at social school about female circumcision?

In brief: Not only did I not
Learn about female genital mutilation in school but it was never mentioned in medical school, internship or residency.
I received hundreds of hours in training in child sexual abuse - and it was never brought up there either. Kind of amazing considering that 140 million females (as young as a day old) have had their genitals mutilated.

In brief: Not only did I not
3 comments
Dr. Shah Chowdhury
While working in Saudi Arabia (1989-95), I have seen young girls from Yemen who had removal of their labia majora, minora and clitoris by local traditional doctors, by the permission of family, advise of religious persons. The idea behind was- to reduce their sex drive, etc. I saw huge scarring of genital area with urinary problem.
Dr. Gerard Honore
The problem is very real. In cultures where this is practiced girls willingly undergo the procedure because many men will not accept a bride who has not had it done.
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: Need to ask teacher
Probably varies from school to school & teacher to teacher. Remember, female circumcision is genital mutilation and a criminal offense in all civilized societies.

In brief: Need to ask teacher
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Shontae Buffington