Please explain why is relaxation of the quadriceps muscle critical to obtaining 90 degrees of flexion from lightly restricted 50 to 60 degrees of flexion?

Dr. Peter Ihle
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It's because the--

-quad contracts as U try to Flex.
U need 2 block it out of the equation. My trick was 2 have U sit on a couch cushion that U pull out so when U flex, U squeeze the cushion with Ur hams. Do this & U will see the quad doesn't contract. Another way is 2 sit on the couch and drag Ur heel toward U with hard downward force as if trying 2 make a trench. This also will stop the quad from contracting,

In brief: It's because the--

-quad contracts as U try to Flex.
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Marsha Davis