Last night, I went to the ER and was diagnosed with a viral febrile illness. Should I have gone to urgent care instead?

Dr. Richard Dudrak

In brief: Yup

Urgent cares can generally handle any acute problem that is not life-threatening.
If you have severe pain / trouble breathing, confusion, chest pain, or stroke symptoms, go to emergency. If you have an injury with obvious dislocation, bone sticking out, or passing out, go to emergency. If you're not sure, call your doctor or the urgent care center first.

In brief: Yup

Dr. Richard Dudrak
Dr. Richard Dudrak
Dr. Louise Andrew
Emergency Medicine

In brief: No

You were sick and had no way of knowing how serious the cause of the fever.
If you were worried and thought it was an emergency you did the right thing. Your insurance company may decide otherwise, however.

In brief: No

Dr. Louise Andrew
Dr. Louise Andrew
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine