Do you know someone with factitious disorder who is just malingering?

Malingering. Technically, malingering differs from factitious disorder because it involves conscious deception. Factitious disorder is unconscious. In malingering, the person is seeking external gains such as disability payments -- or wants to avoid unpleasant things like school, work, or military service. In factitious disorder, the person desires the role of patient -- to secure attention, love, or care.
Tough question. I've evaluated individuals who seemed to have both. Both involve exaggeration of symptoms or production of symptoms. True factitious disorder is probably rarer, as the only presumed motive is to assume the sick role itself. Both involve deliberate vs. Unconscious efforts. I would suspect true cases of both would be even rarer than for factitious disorder. Malingering -more common in litigants.