Do you know someone with factitious disorder who is just malingering?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: Malingering
Technically, malingering differs from factitious disorder because it involves conscious deception.
Factitious disorder is unconscious. In malingering, the person is seeking external gains such as disability payments -- or wants to avoid unpleasant things like school, work, or military service. In factitious disorder, the person desires the role of patient -- to secure attention, love, or care.

In brief: Malingering
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Tough question
I've evaluated individuals who seemed to have both.
Both involve exaggeration of symptoms or production of symptoms. True factitious disorder is probably rarer, as the only presumed motive is to assume the sick role itself. Both involve deliberate vs. Unconscious efforts. I would suspect true cases of both would be even rarer than for factitious disorder. Malingering -more common in litigants.

In brief: Tough question
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Yes, i do.

Yes, i do.
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Vicken Poochikian