Can a neurologist lessen pain you during an electromyography?

In brief: Probably not

Feeling pain intensity is very subjective, i usually engage patient in conversation so their attention is diverted, sometimes recruitment analysis can give answer with less pain than full interference testing which is usually more painful.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Nalinaksha Joshi
Dr. Nalinaksha Joshi
Dr. Michele Arnold
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Yes, in part

There are techniques to minimize discomfort during the performance of emg/ncs.
I commonly use tools such as fully explaining demonstrating parts of the test on myself, applying skin traction instead of pinch during insertion of the EMG pin, avoidance of the word 'needle', keeping the pin out of site by cupping my hand, distraction tactics, careful muscle selection, and occasionally coolant spray.

In brief: Yes, in part

Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Michele Arnold