How long does travelers diarrhea last and how do I treat it?

See answer. It usually lasts 1-5 days, but in 10-15% of patients it can last a week or more. In 2% of patients it can last a month.Antibiotics are indicated for more severe cases : more than 4 loose stools /day, if febrile or if blood or mucus is in stool. Milder cases may not need antibiotics. Imodium (loperamide) should be used to stop the diarrhea unless the patient is febrile or blood/mucus in stool.
Vacation diarrhea! The diarrhea usually starts the day you get back and can last for a week or more. Prior to going, four times a day pepto bismol (bismuth subsalicylate) will really reduce the changes of getting it. If not, hydration, no fat no caffeine no dairy and immodium. Your doctor can also prescribe three days of xifixan, which will knock it out if you are not getting better. Hydration hydration hydration!