I get very scared when i see a bump in my genital area, how can I tell the difference between ingrown hairs and genital herpes?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Herpes

Ingrown hairs don't usually burn or itch, and genital herpes blisters do.
If you have any question at all about what you see on yourself, please see your physician.

In brief: Herpes

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Christina Adberg

In brief: Good question

Those two lesions can sometimes look similar! herpes doesn't universally have a hair in the center of the lesion though.
It can, but it affects all areas of the skin not just the hair follicles. So if your bumps always have a hair in them, then it's probably not herpes. Herpes starts out as a tender swelling, progresses to a blister, then an ulcer that dries and scabs over. Healing takes a week.

In brief: Good question

Dr. Christina Adberg
Dr. Christina Adberg
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham