Is Lyme disease prevalent in the us?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: YES

No one knows for sure how many people in the US have lyme disease; one estimate I have seen is 115,000 but the number is likely much higher.The CDC says there are about 27,000 new cases a year but estimates only 1 in 10 are reported, so the CDC estimate is 270,000 new cases per year. Some Lyme experts feel only 1 in 25 cases are reported, which would mean nearly 700,000 new cases a year. See comment.

In brief: YES

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
As to why so few cases are reported, the CDC criteria for reporting a case are ridiculously stringent. Most people who have proven Lyme disease do not meet the standards the CDC requires for reporting the disease. Also, many doctors are too busy to bother with the time & energy needed to submit reports.
Dr. Ziad Akl
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

The term lyme refers to a city in connecticut where the disease is prevalent.
In fact the disease is widespread in the northeast and mid atlantic regions but also on the pacific coast.

Dr. Ziad Akl
Dr. Ziad Akl