I like to hike, does this make me more susceptible to Lyme disease?

Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Exposure
While hiking you are more lilely to get exposed to ticks that may give you lyme disease.
So always check your clothes and skin, including your feet and back for ticks and tick bites.

In brief: Exposure
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
If you hike in an area known to harbor the ticks that can carry lyme disease you are certainly more likely to get it than the city dweller that avoids such activity.
That said, pre-hike preparation using repellants &light colored long sleeve clothing can reduce risk. A post hike body check for feeding ticks can also help as the ticks must feed for several hours before transmission is likely.