What is bipolar affective disorder?

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Bipolar

Is a mood disorder characterized by swings from highs (mania or hypo mania) to lows (depression).

In brief: Bipolar

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. John Moranville

In brief: Mania and depression

The most prominent characteristic of bipolar disorder is mania characterized by impulsivity and decreased need for sleep.
Most people also have depressive episodes with decreased interest, motivation and energy with feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness, thoughts of death and suiciide. It is important to consult with a psychiatrist.

In brief: Mania and depression

Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Bipolar

Bipolar I and bipolar II, In the first, manic phases are more severe, and in the second, depressive phases are more severe.
There is also cyclothymia which is a low grade version of bipolar disorder in general, where mood swings are not as severe in either direction, manic or depressive.

In brief: Bipolar

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. John Moranville
Well said, but I would add that in bipolar 2 depression is not necessarily more severe than bipolar 1. The most significant difference is that in bipolar 2 there is no history of mania or psychosis.
Dr. Eric Weisman