Are fungal infections worse with people with diabetes?

Yes. Diabetic patients are much more susceptible to fungal infections from superficial skin infections to gas-producing urinary tract infections to a severe sinusitis. In general though, infection risk in diabetic patients seems to be minimized by proper glycemic control.
Not always. Certain fungal infections, such as vaginal candidiasis, are more common in diabetes, but not all types of fungal infections are more frequent in diabetics (http://sgoti.Ws/ouktrx). Some types of fungal infections, such as seen in invasive otitis externa, are almost exclusively found in diabetics (http://www.Ncbi.Nlm.Nih.Gov/pubmed/19069086).