Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Hmm.

It's common for breast cancer to spread to the bones even decades later. This is especially true if the breast cancer was positive for the estrogen receptor (er positive).
In these cases, we usually give patients an estrogen-blocking pill to treat the cancer. We also give a drug that hardens the bones (zolendronate). Ask your doctor why your mother isn't being given those treatments.

In brief: Hmm.

Pathology

In brief: Get consult

There is never "nothing to do" in a cancer patient.
I am going to assume that hormonal therapy and Herceptin (trastuzumab) are not options in your mother's case. Now this becomes a problem for the pain management team and for hospice, who can help your mother spend her time with comfort and dignity. Spend time with her as you are able. Best wishes.

In brief: Get consult

Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery