I'm 52 yrs old+ my dentist found.A split in the roof of my mouth...Does this mean I need surgery? What causes this?

Dr. Michelle Marcincuk
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: It depends

It depends on where the split is and what it looks like.
There is a huge range of possibilities including normal undulations of the roof, holes that lead to the sinus, and cancers. I recommend you see your doctor to get this checked out.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Michelle Marcincuk
Dr. Michelle Marcincuk
Dr. Sander White
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Is it in the gum

Is it in the gum or through the bone too.
This could be a variation of normal anatomy --or not. What does your dentist say?

In brief: Is it in the gum

Dr. Sander White
Dr. Sander White
Dr. Marsha Davis

In brief: Probably not

You were probably born with that split and it is not severe and has always been there.
If it is not causing you any problems or discomfort it should not cause you any problems in the future. Depending on where it is, unless you need dentures, i can't imagine why you would need surgery.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Marsha Davis
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery