What is the average failure rate for a cancer clinical trial?

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Hard to answer

There are so many clinical trials conducted in so many locations which make this nearly impossible to answer. Also, there are varying definitions of failure.
For example, has a drug failed when it leaves 15% of cancer behind, even if the next best alternative typically leaves 20% behind? What if it kills 100% of the cancer, but then regrows in 2 months? So you understand the difficulties...

In brief: Hard to answer

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Not sure

I'm sorry kylej3, but i don't understand your question.
There is no average rate that i know of. Pass and fail are not terms commonly used to describe trials. Trials are designed to answer questions regarding cancer treatments, side effects of treatments, epidemiologic questions, etc. Can you be more specific about what you would like to know?

In brief: Not sure

Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Dr. Steven Ginsberg