Will drinking water help you lose weight? If so, why?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: No, I think it can.

No, i think it can help.
Most people don't drink enough water, but water (a full glass), before each meal has been shown to help create a sense of fullness. Therefore people eat less. It has also been shown that drinking ice water before a meal helps delay gastric emptying, leaving you "full" longer. There is a cult diet that says your body burns more calories if you drink cold fluids. Not!

In brief: No, I think it can.

No, i think it can help.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Bennett Werner
I agree with Dr. Namey. (Anecdote: I personally find that eating 1 cup of high fiber cereal (about 80-100 cal) followed by a full cup of water (8 oz) is very filling - keeps me satisfied for at least 4-6 hours.