When giving an epidural is there anything you can give me to take my mind off of a big needle going in my back because i'm terrified of needles?

Dr. Tapan Joshi
Pain Management

In brief: Depends

If it is for labor, then no medication but explanation.
.... If it is not for labor like surgery or pain control, conscious sedation is an option.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Tapan Joshi
Dr. Tapan Joshi
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: Labor epidural?

During a labor epidural generally nothing is given.
Anything you take by mouth or IV goes to the baby.

In brief: Labor epidural?

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology

In brief: Reassurance!

We numb the spot where the epidural goes in very well with local anesthesia.
If you're in labor and need an epidural, just breathe and focus on the fact that the labor pain really will ease up in just a couple of minutes. If you're having an epidural for other reasons such as to treat back pain, you'll receive some sedation to help you relax. Either way, it will be worth it to have the epidural.

In brief: Reassurance!

Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Anesthesiology

In brief: Possibly

If one is receiving an epidural and they're not pregnant, most of the time we can furnish some sedation.
If you are pregnant and receiving epidural for labor pain, gentle explanation helps.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Scott Mackinnon
Dr. Benjamin Sanidad Jr
Anesthesiology

In brief: Sedative-Assurance

I often administer sedatives to allay my patient's anxeity, if no contraindications.
However, reassurance and careful explanation may help most patients even without sedatives.

In brief: Sedative-Assurance

Dr. Benjamin Sanidad Jr
Dr. Benjamin Sanidad Jr
Dr. Arthur Hoffman

In brief: YES

A quick spray of Ethyl Chloride will numb the area via ''quick cold''.
(kids even ask for it.) then a local numbing agent can be injected without any discomfort. A reassuring explanation of what I am doing and what you can do to assure successful epidural and off you go. Figure 20 or 30 minutes of a ''no feeling'' epidural. I think you will do quite well !

In brief: YES

Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: CBT

Seek a cognitive-behavioral therapist who specializes in phobias.
One method they use is systematic desensitization which slowly and incrementally brings the person closer and closer to the thing they are afraid of in slow, graduated steps that help make the anxiety more tolerable.

In brief: CBT

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY

In brief: Sedative

Your doctor may suggest Xanax (alprazolam) to take 1 hr before procedure.
Ask you pain doctor or physician giving the injection.

In brief: Sedative

Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. LUIS IRIZARRY
Dr. Eric Weisman