Do I need multivatamins or do I get enough of them in a diverse diet? Any studies on this? Do multivitamins even work?

Dr. Danny Westmoreland

In brief: Diet is best

A well balanced diet is always best.
People who go to extremes with vitamins and extreme diets don't tend to fair well. A multivitamin would be ok but a balanced diet is far more important.

In brief: Diet is best

A well balanced diet is always best.
Dr. Danny Westmoreland
Dr. Danny Westmoreland
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Don't know for sure

For the purpose of preventing heart disease or cancer, there is not enough research to say whether or not this is beneficial.
If you get a diverse diet, you probably don't need them. Folic acid, found in many multivitamins, does lower the risk in women of spinal cord defects in future babies, but can be gotten other ways. Beta carotene supplements increase the risk of lung cancer in heavy smokers.

In brief: Don't know for sure

Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Paul Hartlaub
Dr. Keegan Duchicela