Im uncomfortable w/ the cry it out method for my 6 month old, but pediatrician says the idea that they feel abandoned or unloved isnt realistic. Why?

In brief: Changing Brain

It is best not to project older child or adult values to the immature infant brain.
Before 6m they cry because it works, not because they feel abandonment.By 6-9m they think you vanish out of their sight & by 2 they are aware that u can still exist unseen.They cry because they want u to make the tired go away but u can't. Stay & rock & u will have 400% more sleep disturbances for 3-4 yrs.

In brief: Changing Brain

Dr. Glen Elliott
Learning to self-soothe is an essential task of early toddlers (and not a few adults). Studies have shown that most parents can readily tell the difference between a baby crying because of discontent from one crying from real distress or pain. Responding to the latter and not to the former is a hard but crucial part of early parenting.

In brief: .

Care for your baby appropriately but if he or she is crying just for attention you may have to let the baby cry it out.
I know it sounds cruel but it is better for the baby for development and appropriate behavior. Make sure the baby's needs are met and not in pain.

In brief: .

Dr. Sathish Adigopula
Dr. Sathish Adigopula
Dr. Jonathan Jassey