Pros and cons of taking estrogen with mirena (levonorgestrel)?

Unusual. It is not necessary to take estrogen with a mirena (levonorgestrel). I would clarify with your doctor why this was prescribed. Perhaps it is for a specific reason and your doctor should be able to explain the rationale.
Balance. A lot of women, myself included, appreciate the balance that taking estrogen offers. Estrogen helps to stabilize the lining of the uterus, and prevent some of the breakthrough bleeding that some (not all) women have with the Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud. Other women like the benefits of estrogen on skin and hair. It's really individual, as different women respond differently to hormones. Hope that helps!