What is a tortuous thoracic aorta? Is it serious? Do I need to do anything? My doctor doesn't seem to be worried but then again he never seems to

Dr. Joseph Roosth

In brief: Uusally normal

This is a common finding on a chest x-ray and in most cases is simply a slight twist in the otherwise normal curvature of the aorta.
Uusally not serious. If you wish to be certain, a cardiologist can do an echocardiogram and in most cases determine if anything else, such an an aneurysm is present. Unfortunately "tortuous" is only a description, not a diagnosis.

In brief: Uusally normal

Dr. Joseph Roosth
Dr. Joseph Roosth
Dr. Craig Carter
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: No

As long as it is not dilated or aneurysmal, just being tortuous is not an issue.
Your doctor is correct.

In brief: No

Your doctor is correct.
Dr. Craig Carter
Dr. Craig Carter
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology