I have herpes type 2. My wife wants a child. If we have unprotected sex while im not having a outbreak, will she still get my disease?

Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Unlkely but

Even though most of the time if you have sex without an outbreak it is safe.
But some recurring outbreaks may have little or no symptoms or a very tiny lesion may be there and you are not aware of it, so there is a small risk another option is that you consult your doctor and go on suppresive therapy with antibiotics like famciclovir, valaciclovir or acyclovri acyclovir can be used by pregnant mothe.

In brief: Unlkely but

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: Herpes Two

Do you know where you are infected? If it is on your penis then the answer is yes, potentially.
Your physician can put you on herpes medication to lower your risk of transmitting this virus by 50%.

In brief: Herpes Two

Dr. Robert Killian
Dr. Robert Killian

In brief: Over time-probably

However, having a baby is not out of the question.
If she developed her 1st outbreak early in a pregnancy she could loose the pregnancy. If she had a 1st outbreak around delivery, baby could get a terrible disease (30%) if delivered virginally. This could be avoided with a C-section before the water broke. If she gets it prior to pregnancy risk to baby (5%) drops & is more manageable.

In brief: Over time-probably

Dr. Jane Van Dis