What is the relationship between vitamin d and heart attacks in women?

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Unknown

Researchers have found an association between low vitamin d in women and heart attack.
An association does not mean that low vitamin d causes heart attacks. Also, there are no studies that show that taking vitamin d supplements prevents heart attacks. If you're wondering about your vitamin d level, see your doctor. There are other reasons to take it, like bone strength.

In brief: Unknown

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Brian Kaufman
There also appears to be a role for vitamin d in gi health, and pain issues. AgAin, nothing conclusive by studies but emerging research.
Dr. Joseph Roosth

In brief: Same as Men I think

Both parts of the framingham and nhanes studies found an increased association of heart disease including things like angina and heart attack in adults with low vitamin d levels.
Not all doctors agree, but since replacement is fairly simple, i believe it quite appropriate to check it, at least every 2-3 years in my adult patients. Not sure if specifically greater risk in women/cardiac wise.

In brief: Same as Men I think

Dr. Joseph Roosth
Dr. Joseph Roosth
Dr. Adam Levy