My two year old complains almost every day of his tummy hurting and now his bm's have turned black. Is the black stools normal?

Dr. Judy Black

In brief: Abnormal

Black stools are abnormal and should be evaluated by a doctor.

In brief: Abnormal

Dr. Judy Black
Dr. Judy Black
Dr. Katie Nguyen

In brief: Needs stool testing

Black stools may indicate bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract which may be from a variety of things.
It could be dietary (ie iron supplement) however if it is related to daily pain, he should be evaluated by his pediatrician and the stool needs to be tested for blood. I would also run some blood tests. Ultimately, if there is bleeding he needs to be seen by a gastroenterologist.

In brief: Needs stool testing

Dr. Katie Nguyen
Dr. Katie Nguyen
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine