I am 37 and have been running for 12 years. Lately my knees have been aching afterwards. Am I doing permanent damage and do I need to give it up?

Dr. Gregory Hines
In brief: Be seen
You should see your doctor, or your orthopedist.
Xrays can show you if you are wearing your knee cartilage out, but it is possible that you are causing permanent damage.

In brief: Be seen
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. David Laha
Podiatry
In brief: Maybe and ?
If you have had no traumatic injuries to your knees and your knees are only aching after workouts, then it is possible it is secondary to your foot function.
Replacing your shoes and adding an arch support may help. Have your orthopedist eval you knees. If no serious damage, you might want to see your podiatrist. Dr l.

In brief: Maybe and ?
Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha
Dr. Marsha Davis