Diagnosed with small airway disease. Born 27.5 weeks, on vent and pneumonia and pulmonary edema as baby. Had pft. Chronic coug. Tightness in chest when not on inhaler. Nonsmoker. What does this mean?

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Association

Very premature children (those born before 32 weeks' gestation) have higher asthma risk -- almost three times that of children born at full term for asthma as young adults.
In one study adults age 25 to 35 yrs old had over twice incidence of asthma than adults of full term infants. There is association but not definite cause and effect.

In brief: Association

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Not sure

I see vague connection between small airway disease and your being born prematurely.
Small airway disease is not a disease per se. Is it asthma or another entity hidden behind this? There are a few diseases that manifest with small airway obstruction including copd, asthma and others. More info is needed.

In brief: Not sure

Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine