My 2 month old baby has severe colic and I have been told to feed her a tablespoon of warm water and brown sugar, is this just another wives tale?

Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Coiic can be Fixed
I believe that " colic" has a cause and if found, can be corrected.
Among other things, hidden acid reflux, formula intolerance, poor mechanics of feeding and burping, and an incompatable bottle or nipple can be causes. These are fixable.In our practice less than 0.05% have "colic". Good exploration should find this cause.The suger is designed to increase the bowels to pass gas.

In brief: Coiic can be Fixed
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Patrick Hieber
In brief: Colic
Very likely. There are hundreds of "folk remedies" for colic-prolonged crying associated with apparent discomfort associated with passage of gas and stools.
If the baby's growth and physical exam are normal and there are no features to suggest gastroesophageal reflux, trials of hypo-allergenic hydrolysate formula (if not breast feeding), mylicon drops and/or gripe water are traditional "treatments.

In brief: Colic
Dr. Patrick Hieber
Dr. Patrick Hieber
Dr. Cindy Juster