Sore throat, cough, which med is safe if breastfeeding &how to protect baby?

Vague question. We generally avoid salycelates and prefer Acetaminophen as a medicine for comfort if throat lozenges or menthol gum is not adequate. Antihistamine and decongestant containing cough meds can reduce your milk volume, so simple mucolytics are preferred. Baby was exposed to the germ before you became symptomatic, so s/he will either get it or not based on their tolerance to the germ.
Avoid coughing. And oral contact with your infant and if you have no fever, breathlessness and a normal appetite, try acetamenaphen for pain increase liquids and take daily multivitamin. Likely a self limited upper respiratory infection.