I asked my gyn if Clomid (clomiphene) would help my chances of conceiving and he told me no because with me having pcos it would burst my ovaries.....Is this true?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Not true

I would ask more questions or get a second opinion.
Clomid (clomiphene) is the first line choice for women with pcos to assist with ovulation. There is a slight risk of something called ovarian hyperstimulation but this would not cause the ovary to explode.

In brief: Not true

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Mary David
Metformin can frequently help and new studies show that a drug that has been used mainly for treatment of cancer works even better. Clomid is safe but doesn't work that well with PCOS.
Dr. William Brown
Gynecology

In brief: Clomid (clomiphene) and ovaries

Clomid (clomiphene) stimulates ovulation in patients with pcos who have irregular menses and infrequent ovulation.
It is true that ovarian stimulation can result in significant increase in ovarian cyst formation, cysts large enough to occasionally "burst". Patients who are carefully monitored should not be concerned with this and take advantage of the benefit of Clomid (clomiphene) if they truly need help with ovulation.

Dr. William Brown
Dr. William Brown
Dr. Seth Derman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: No

Clomid (clomiphene) will not make your ovaries burst.
That being said, unless your periods are irregular, Clomid (clomiphene) may not be the appropriate step at the time.

In brief: No

Dr. Seth Derman
Dr. Seth Derman
Dr. Adam Levy