I m only 29 n suspect I have copd. Am I too young to get it? Smoking about 10 years but only social for the first 5

Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Emergency Medicine

In brief: See your doc/ tests

Can't tell without a good exam and maybe some pulmonary function tests.
The good news is - if you quit now, in 10 years your lungs are generally considered "back to normal". Please try to cut back and/or quit... It will only be harder later if you go nothing now. Good luck!

In brief: See your doc/ tests

Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Dr. Carin Van Gelder
Dr. Michael DePietro
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: No

It would be unusual to get COPD at the age of 20, but not impossible, especially if you were particularly succeptible.
Those who have a hereditary deficiency in a lung protective chemical called "alpha 1- antitrypsin" may be very vulnerable to the damage caused by smoking and develop COPD at a young age. Those concerned about this should see their doctor for evaluation and quit smoking.

In brief: No

Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Martin Raff
Actually everybody should quit smoking.
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Depends...

There are many factors that determine whether or not a specific person develops copd.
Some of these factors are under your control, like smoking and some are not, like genetics. Duration of smoking definitely impacts whether you will develop COPD so smoking cessation is very important. Patients can develop COPD at younger ages making it even more urgent that you quit smoking now!

In brief: Depends...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology